Julian specialises in intellectual property law and trade practices. He frequently appears in matters involving patents, trade marks, copyright, designs, confidential information, consumer protection and other commercial/equity issues. Julian frequently acts for clients in the pharmaceutical, mining, chemical, telecommunications, media and consumer goods industries.
Notable recent matters include:
- Novartis AG v Pharmacor Pty Ltd  FCAFC 58 (patents)
- Vector Corrosion Technologies Ltd v E-Chem Technologies Ltd  FCA 188 (patents)
- PDP Capital Pty Ltd v Grasshopper Ventures Pty Ltd  FCAFC 128 (trade marks, ACL, passing-off)
- Biogen International GmbH v Pharmacor Pty Ltd  FCA 1591(patents)
Notable High Court matters include:
- JT International SA v Commonwealth of Australia (the Tobacco Plain Packaging Case)  HCA 43 (trade marks)
- Health World Ltd v Shin-Sun Australia Pty Ltd  HCA 13 (trade marks)
- IceTV Pty Ltd v Nine Network Australia Pty  HCA 14 (copyright)
Julian represents clients in the High Court, the Federal Court (at trial and on appeal in all registries throughout Australia), the NSW Supreme Court (at trial and on appeal), in other Australian State and Territory Courts (at trial and on appeal), the Patents Office, the Trade Marks Office, the Copyright Tribunal, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, arbitrations and mediations.
Julian has been recognised in: Doyles Guide 2023 as Leading Intellectual Property Senior Counsel for NSW; Who’s Who Legal 2023 as Global Leader for Life Sciences – Patent Litigation; Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific 2023 Intellectual Property; Best Lawyers in Australia 2023: Intellectual Property; The Legal 500 2023: Intellectual Property; The World’s Leading Trade Mark Professionals.
- BCL University of Oxford 1997
- BA/LLB (Hons 1) Murdoch University (Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Academic Excellence) 1995